Saturday, June 27, 2009

People always told me, "Be careful what you do!"

Yesterday was such a weird day: Farrah Fawcett lost her battle with cancer and then all of a sudden Michael Jackson is rushed to the hospital and dies of cardiac arrest. I'm saddened by his passing, even though his greatness has been in the past for some time now. I don't see him as a current hit-making musician because all my favorites of his were from a long time ago. But I have memories of jammin' to MJ while drinking with my buddies in Texas. We'd usually end up playing his videos on YouTube while we drank, or I had a bunch of his songs on my New Year's Eve playlist on my iPod that we listened to before we toasted the New Year. It's sad what he became in the end. But on the up side, I think Geico has stopped playing those stupid commercials with the pile of money with eyes in respect for his song that's in the commercial. "I always feel like somebody's watchin' me..."

My mom has decided that she wants to put my dinning room set in her eat-in kitchen because it's a little smaller than the one they have in there. It will make the room feel bigger, I think. But it was a very blonde color, so we've been sanding it down and refinishing it with a darker stain. It's taking a while because we bought this new stain that's supposed to be quicker... but of course it's not. We'll need at least three coats to get the color we want. We still haven't sanded down three of the four chairs! It's going to keep us busy, that's for sure. I'll be sure to post pictures when we're done, I think it's starting to look great. The stain gives it character.

I finished "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" and started "Revolutionary Road." "Memory" was a great novel, but it was kind of annoying that the husband kept such a serious secret all of his life. Why couldn't he just TELL her?? Men... "Revolutionary Road" is intriguing so far, but I'm only 50 pages in. Yesterday, Imagine That! Productions received its first new play submission, so I spent last night reading that. I LOVE reading new plays, and I think this one is a great work of art. I hope we can put it on the stage because I could have a Dramaturgical Field Day with this one!

I'm very glad that John let me be apart of his production company, even though I'm out here in Arizona. I feel like I'm doing a job, but I'm not getting paid for it (yet!). I love the work, and I feel it's the only thing keeping me sane right now, and keeping me motivated to chase my dreams in the fickle life of a theatre artist.

I've also been working out on the Wii Active, and I think I'm getting addicted! I still do lunges and squats, which I HATE, but I enjoy having that "trainer" there, and I love the boxing, tennis, and volleyball. I've only done a few workouts, but I plan to do the 30-day Challenge once I get my body used to regular exercise. (I also have dreams of completing a triathalon, but that's a lofty goal right now!)

On another sad note, I didn't get the lecturer position that I applied for at SFA in Nacogdoches, Texas. I knew if someone more qualified applied, then I wasn't going to be considered, but I figured it was worth a shot. So... there's that. I need to look out for GRE prep courses soon so I can retake that (and hopefully get a higher score) so I have a better chance of getting into a doctorate program. I've also requested information from a few different online schools about getting my teaching certification. At least I'll have something! (My Masters degree STILL hasn't come in the mail...)

So, the job search continues... along with the reading, researching, and working out!

And remember: "It don't matter if you're black or white!"

1 comment:

So, I'm Corey said...

When you come down in Aug, we MUST drink and dance to Michael Jackson (again). :)

I'm gonna' start reading that new play tomorrow (excited!).

Sorry about the no job in Nacadoches. :(

I was gonna comment on something else, but when I click "post a comment" it takes me to a new page, so I don't get to see the actual blog ... bothers me because I forget what I was going to say. :(