Another year is coming to a close! I can’t believe how time seems to just fly right on by. Here are some of my favorite things and memories of the past year:
1. “Modern Family”. Nothing beats watching this quirky family. You laugh, you cry (or sigh) and everything wraps up at the end. The best ones were The Earthquake (“I thought you might be thirsty so I brought you some soda. You finished all the wine last night. Oh, and I couldn’t find a straw so you’re gonna have to lap it up like cats.”), the one with the flash mob, and the one where they poke fun at Gloria’s accent. “Baby Jesus” and “Deer in the head lice”!
2. “Biggest Loser”. This show is always so inspiring. Although I technically haven’t lost weight in a while, I have lost inches. I will always love watching people change their lives for the better.
3. The “Grilled Cheesus” episode of “Glee”. I’m not a huge fan of this show. Sometimes it can be brilliant, and other times it’s just awful. Nothing can beat this episode. It was moving, it was funny, and it was deep.
1. “Inception”. GENIUS. That is all.
2. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1”. Duh, it’s Harry Potter! I love how the books and movies grow up with the characters. Everything is so intertwined.
3. “Easy A”. Hilarious! This is one to buy and watch over and over again. It’s on the same level as “Mean Girls”.
1. Band of Horses. I just discovered them, so I love all of it!
2. Sia. Love her voice. Her second album is really pop-like, which, after seeing an interview, is what she wanted from it. It’s a great album to listen to in the morning.
3. Florence and the Machine- “Lungs”. AMAZING. Love this whole album! 4 tracks are on my running playlist. Her voice is so haunting, yet so great.
4. Katy Perry- “Firework”. I know, I know- it’s Katy Perry. BUT, this song will forever remind me of running at mile 7.5 in my first half marathon and it was so moving for me. It was emotional and motivating. “Maybe the reason why so many doors are closed is so you can open one that leads to the perfect road.” (Or something to that effect, I’m paraphrasing.)
1. “The Hunger Games Trilogy” by Suzanne Collins. Thrilling, intriguing, politically charged- what a great read!
2. “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” by J. K. Rowling. This one is my favorite of the series. Harry finally has an adult to look up to. And then… well, you just have to read the series!
3. “Attonement” by Ian McEwan. Beautifully written. This truly is a piece of literature.
4. “The Book Thief” by Zusak. An emotional story of Nazi Germany from a young German girl’s point of view. Touching. Depressing. Great read.
5. “Sarah’s Key”. I forget the author, but this book is worth the read. Another World War II story, but from a different perspective.
Best Accomplishment: First half-marathon, Rock ‘n Roll San Antonio, November 13. Such an amazing experience. I’m afraid that the next half will hurt more now that I’ve run one!
Best Concert: It’s a tie: Dave Matthews Band, September 10, and Mae, November 21. DMB is always great. I’ll miss them next year. Mae was very nostalgic, and they are such great guys! Great night of music and memories.
Best Party: Dad’s 50th last week! :)
Goals for 2011:
Get a full time teaching job. (Become self-sufficient again. New car, new place, etc.)
Run faster! I want to get my 5k closer to 30:00.
2011 is going to be a great year!