Friday, June 12, 2009

The Reader

Usually I read the book before I see the movie. And usually I enjoy the book more than the film. In this case, however, I saw the film and just loved it, and read the book just now. I feel the film is stronger than the book, for reasons I'm not sure of. Maybe it's the way the book was written in a journalistic form. The narrator seemed bland, like he was leaving out necessary details for the reader to get involved sensually in the story. Maybe because I was comparing scenes in the book to scenes from the film. I'm not sure, but I know now that I'll stick to my former method of reading the book first and watching the film second.

I'm now moving on to a book I borrowed from the tiny library in town: Water for Elephants.


I didn't fall asleep until almost 5am. My mind just wouldn't shut off. But I think I know what I need to do. I need to stay here, I need to meet people, I need to find a job. I need to put down roots for a while, at least. And I also need to find out the status of my application to the ELCA Global Mission.

1 comment:

So, I'm Corey said...

I disagree with the end of this blog. :)

And maybe you liked the film more, because Kate Winslett is pure brilliance. :)