Monday, July 6, 2009

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

This was a surprisingly fast read, although I think that's because it kept me awake at night, even if I wasn't reading it! It really made me think, and as I was trying to fall asleep I would sit and listen to every noise in the house. I'm not really sure how they made a film out this, as I feel that it should be left in literary form. It's been a while since I've read a novel with this sense of style and aw. This truly is a work of art, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was included in the high school reading canon. After reading this, I wanted to dig through the boxes in my garage to find Camus's "The Stranger" and reread it. But, it's 110 degrees today, so I'll save that task for another day. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the art of literature.

My parents and I watched the film version of "Revolutionary Road" last night, and I must say that Sam Mendes did a fantastic job in creating the mood of the piece. However, I felt the beginning moved a little too fast and we never got to see the powerful scene where April is mowing the lawn when Frank wakes up with a hangover and discovers she's slept on the couch. To me, having the wife mow the lawn, which typically was a man's job in the 50s, says something about the couple. Also, there was a scene in the book that I felt was powerful, and it didn't come out that way in the film for some reason.

It's HOT! My mom is playing Mario Kart and I might join her. I think later I'm going to stop by a few restaurants and see if they're hiring and are willing to hire someone without any experience (meaning ME!).

My next novel: "My Antonia" by Willa Cather.

No comments: