Monday, August 3, 2009

Shotgun

I don't spend a lot of time in my room since I have a laptop. I usually bring it out into the living room so I don't feel so penned up. So, I haven't been really listening to music lately. When I lived alone, I had speakers hooked up to my laptop and I would put on music no matter what I was doing (unless I was watching TV). I miss that, I guess. Tomorrow I'll be packing for my much anticipated trip to Texas, so I am looking forward to putting my iTunes on Dave Matthews Band shuffle.

Right now I'm listening to the song "Shotgun," by DMB. This song puts me in a mood every time I hear it. There's something about the riff that just puts me in a pensive mood. I LOVE the song, and it's evolved since they debuted it in 2006, I think. I put the first few lyrics on my Facebook page because they're so dead-on. It's crazy. I hope I get to meet that man and shake his hand, and personally thank him for his music.

"This photograph of you and me,
when these old boots of mine
were brand new,
And look at you, how you smile, smile, smile.
Look at you.
What has become of us?
Chasing the avalanche down,
Watching the world on TV,
There must be something better on."

I told my mom the other day that I know three couples that are married or almost there because of E-Harmony. I said that must be a site for people that want to get married right away, so I'm going to stay away from it! And she asked me why I didn't want to get married. Hello! I'm too independent, and untrusting. I love being independent, which is why I'm so nervous about finding a job soon. I NEED to work if I want to move out. My parents have been great, and always will be, but I miss living on my own, by myself, just me and my cat. And my friends being a short drive away.

But I get to see them soon!!! I never thought I could miss a place as much as I miss Texas.

EDIT
I forgot to add that I finished "The Virgin's Lover" by Philippa Gregory. This story was based on Queen Elizabeth I and her scandalous relationship with Robert Dudley. I liked Gregory's view of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, but I think she might have exaggerated a bit in this book. I have my own view of Elizabeth as a woman, and I personally feel that she was smarter than what Gregory makes her out to be. However, it was an intriguing story with romance. All in all, it was a good read. I'm now reading a biography of some women in early rock 'n roll: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon. I came across this book when I was putting together my birthday list on Amazon and realized that when I was researching for my thesis play, all the musicians were males! The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Kinks... where were the women? Hopefully this book can shed some light on that!

No comments: