Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon- and the Journey of a Generation

"Girls Like Us" is a fabulously written biography of three trail-blazing women in rock and roll. Although I am young, I grew up listening to their music, called "Oldies" then, and reading this book helped me understand their lives and generation, and exactly what they did for women and rock music. They are the reason Britney and Madonna have music careers to begin with. I know Madonna stretched boundaries and knocked down walls, but Joni, Carly, and Carole set the stage for her to do so. Not only do I think these women are strong and beautiful, their music is timeless. I love "You're So Vain", "River", "Big Yellow Taxi", and "Natural Woman". This is a must read for women of all ages who are trying to find a place in a rough world.
joni mitchell Pictures, Images and Photos
Now I'm downloading and listening to Joni Mitchell, mostly, but "You're So Vain" is a great one, too! I think I read this book at the right time in my life. I need direction, and I feel lost, but so did these women and they found their way through. I just need patience, and I can never give up. And, it's okay if I don't get married, or get divorced, or end up without a husband. I don't need a man to feel complete; that idea is just ridiculous.

Ted Kennedy lost his battle with brain cancer. That's really all I have to say about that. I never really "knew" him, or paid attention to his career. I don't know why. Maybe my Republican parents had an influence on that.

It's still really hot. I can't wait for cooler weather. Lately I've been wanting to go for a run- OUTSIDE- but it's been so hot, even in the mornings. It was 90 degrees at midnight last night, so I have reason to believe it didn't get much cooler by the morning. So, I'm stuck inside doing the 30 Day Challenge on the Wii Active. Which, by the way, I think you should do first upon purchasing it, because the first workouts seem easy compared to the individual ones I've been doing separate from the challenge. But I'm guessing that by the time I get to workout #20 it'll be challenging.

No comments: