Saturday, September 5, 2009

"House of Many Gods" by Kiana Davenport

I bought this book while I was in Honolulu for a conference. I've decided that when I travel, I will try to buy some form of literature/poetry that reflects the native people. In Prague, I bought a Kafka book and found a poetry book online that I read in a hostel. I had no idea what to buy, so I picked this one up. It was great at the beginning; filed with Hawaiian culture with every word. Then it started to get all over the place with a story line about radiation, and never really coming to a conclusion on that issue. It was a good read because it read fast and I was attached to the characters and the Hawaiian culture. Otherwise, I'd say it was average, and had I not traveled to Honolulu, I probably would not have read this book. Maybe if the story had stayed in the islands, it would have made it better. But, that's what the author was talking about: there is more to the world than the small islands, even though they are precious.

I have now decided to take on the task of reading Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" because I hear it's a classic love story that will forever be in the literary canon. It's been hard for me to read Russian literature, even Chekhov's plays, but once I get past the fact that each character has three different names, it becomes easy for me. I wish I knew more Russian history, but all I know of Russia is desolation and starvation. We shall see if I make it through this ginormous book.

I have also decided to run the Race for the Cure 5k here in Phoenix next month. A 5k is over three miles! What was I thinking?? I want to be a runner, so doing this will force me to get into it, and it's for a great cause. I asked my friend Jessica to go with me because I know she's at home with a small baby and might want some interaction with someone her age besides her husband. And I know she likes to run, so there's pressure on me!

Jeff got evicted from the Big Brother house this week. :( BIG SAD FACE! He was my favorite.

No comments: