Monday, September 21, 2009

3:10 to Yuma

Sorry for a long absence in blogging, but I'm still reading "Anna Karenina" and I'm about halfway through the 900+ pages. I'm really enjoying it so far, and it makes me want to pick up my Chekhov paper from a class I had in the spring and start the rewrite. I want to expand it for publication in a journal, which will definitely add sparkles to my resume.

My mom and I watched "3:10 to Yuma" a while back and I just haven't gotten to write about it. I must say that I really enjoyed this film, and it was refreshing to see a shoot-em-up, full-on, western. It takes place in southern Arizona, near Bisbee, so it was fun for us to watch, being new transplants to the area. Russell Crowe was great as the badass gang leader Ben Wade, and Christian Bale threw in a great performance as the hard-working, and sometimes honest, rancher. But what was most surprising to me was the performance of Ben Foster. Yes, that's right, Ben Foster: the nerdy kid from that television show "Flash Forward" years ago. Foster really proved himself in this film as a great actor because I had no idea it was him until I sat and thought about it a while. He played a great ruthless gangster and I generally felt hatred for his character. I'd buy this film... that is, if I had a job...

No comments: