Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns

I thought the Kite Runner was powerful, and so is this novel. A Thousand Splendid Suns focuses on the lives of women in Afghanistan and how they were impacted with each take over of the country in modern times. The novel ends hopeful as Afghanistan rebuilds after the Taliban is forced out of Kabul, but the war is still happening, and their latest election is speculated to be rigged. This story was very powerful to me, and makes me grateful to live in a nation that sees women as a partner, even though we have a ways to go in America. It is nothing like life under the Taliban. It also made me see what extreme religion and beliefs can do to a society. The Taliban is an example of religion gone bad. They see the words in the Koran, but they do not see God behind them. This is a good read, greatly recommended.

Since my last entry, life has changed quite dramatically. In a few weeks, I'll be back in Texas, living with friends and trying to find a teaching job and obtain my certification. After my dad lost his job last week, we can no longer afford to stay here, and the 9% unemployment rate is not helping us find jobs. Since I've been here in May, I've had one substitute job and maid $80. In 6 months I've made $80 bucks. It's just awful. Arizona is not the place to be right now. The news always reports that the economy is looking better in other parts of the country, but not here. I think that's our cue to get out.

No comments: