Sunday, October 4, 2009

"A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey

This book is intense. I don't really know the specifics of the controversy surrounding it besides the allegations that some of it was fabricated, but either way it is a powerful story. Stylistically, it fits the mood and tempo and insanity of the story very well, and it is a very quick read. I read the first 100 in pages in the first sitting alone, which is a big deal since I'm a slow reader. I must warn, though: this book is not for the faint of heart and discretion is strongly advised. However, I do not feel that the need for discretion took away from the book in any way. It is worth the read, and worth the thoughts about our brain and addiction and how we treat our bodies and our souls.

Speaking of bodies... I'm still training for the Race for the Cure that is now only a week away! I got my time down to 27 minutes, which means a 9 minute mile- I haven't done that in years! I hope this week with the cooler weather I can finish a little faster. 8 minutes a mile would be great, but I don't want to push it and get frustrated and give up, like I usually do. This is something I want to stick with!

I'm now starting to read "Hunting for Hope" by Scott Russell Sanders. My friend Jenna read it for a class at TLU and gave me an extra copy after she lost hers and bought a new one, then found her original one! She loved it, and Sanders actually spoke at TLU, so I'm finally getting around to reading this book.

Also on my "To Read" list: 1) Blue Like Jazz [I liked "Searching for God Knows What" so I'm going to check this one out, too] 2) The Lost Symbol [Dan Brown's new Robert Langdon saga] 3) and a few Jane Austen novels, since I loved "Anna Karenina", maybe I can finally start to like English drawing room novels. (I do like "Jane Eyre", though, just to clarify!)

When did 82 degrees feel so cool? The desert must be driving me crazy...

No comments: