Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Running: How to Get Started

New Year's Eve makes most people think about resolutions, starting something new, or making a change.  If you are thinking of becoming a runner, read on to find out how to get started!

First of all, I'm going to preface by saying that if you run, then you are a RUNNER.  It doesn't matter how long or how far or how fast you run.  Once you hit that pavement or trail, then you are a runner!  Be proud of it!

I call myself an average runner.  My yearly mileage is around 360 (roughly 1 mile per day!  Yeah!), while most of the people I follow on Instagram are way above 1,000 miles for the year.  To me, that is INSANE!  I don't have time to run that mileage due to work, and it's just too hot in the summer when I'm off of work.  I consider my 360 miles a great achievement!  So, don't compare yourself to others or you will never keep going.  Start where you are!

I started running in August of 2009 in Phoenix, Arizona.  I know, I know; it's balls hot!  I just needed something to set goals for that I could achieve as I was stuck with a master's degree and no job due to the amazing economy.  So, I decided to start running.  I went to Kohl's and bought some new shoes (not pricey, I think I spent $40) and shorts and a t-shirt. I already had sports bras.  I waited until the sun went down (I'm NOT a morning person!), fired up my click wheel iPod, and made the goal to run around the block to the first light post and back.  That was it.  So I did it.  IT. WAS. HARD.  But I did it.  I could feel my body resisting, but later I could feel my lungs changing as I was laying in bed.  Things were already changing.

The next day, I decided to go a bit further and back.  And I did it.  I could fall asleep easier, I could feel my lungs changing. Each day I decided to go a bit further, until I needed to look up a distance and route on MapMyRun.com.  I mapped out a 2.5 mile route around my neighborhood, and soon that was my daily run. I didn't have a phone with an app to track, or a GPS watch, just my old iPod.  I don't have selfies of me running during this time.  I don't even think I had an Instagram account.  I just ran for ME.  If you're just starting out, I suggest you run for YOU at the beginning.  Then you can find an app or fancy watch to track your stats.  But don't let the stats make you feel any less of a runner.

I didn't run for speed.  But it was nice when I ran it faster than yesterday.
I didn't run to lose weight.  But I did lose 15 lbs in the process.  (I also used the Wii workouts for strength training, and that helped!)
I didn't run to train for any race. I just ran for myself.

Soon, I was wanting a little more.  I decided to sign up for my 1st 5k, and asked some friends to run with me.  They are faster than me, but that didn't bother me.  We started out together at first, but then I told them to go ahead and meet at the finish line.  It wasn't time chipped, and I didn't have a phone or watch to track anything.  It was so empowering to set a goal and complete it. 

From that fall, August to October 2009, I was hooked on running.  It became something I could do, something that made me feel powerful and that I am capable of tough things.

All you have to do is start.

How to become a Runner:
1. Put on your shoes and a good sports bra.
2.  RUN!

Whether your resolution is to start running or be a faster runner, I hope that you have confidence in yourself to become the runner you never thought you could be!  Happy New Year, and Happy Running!

Cheers,
Kasey

No comments: