Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Global Running Day: My Favorite Running Gear





It's Global Running Day! (and it's 102 degrees...) I thought I'd share my favorite running gear today. When I started running in 2009, all I thought you needed was a good pair of shoes and some headphones. After almost 10 years, I’ve acquired the need for gear on the run.

1. Brooks Ghost. My first pair of shoes that I bought when I started running came from Kohl’s and were ok for the short distance and time I was covering at the time. When I realized I wanted to run more, my friend suggested I check out Brooks running for shoes. I went to a running store and they fit me with Adrenaline. I loved those shoes! They carried me through my first 10k and half marathon. When I realized you need to replace your shoes more often than I thought, I tried Brooks Ghost. I’m hooked! I wait very impatiently for them to go on sale at the beginning of every summer. Good running shoes are important; they can prevent injury and keep your posture and form strong. If you cover long distances, getting the right shoes is imperative.


2. Spotify. When I first started running, I created a playlist in iTunes and imported it to my click wheel iPod and I ran with it in hand with headphones attached. Now, I use Spotify to create a running playlist that I can download on my phone to save data from streaming. I also strap my phone to my arm so I can have a free hand. As a woman, I will never run without my phone. But that’s another blog entry.

3. Garmin Forerunner 230. I am obsessed with data. I loved the Nike Running app when I first started running and loved seeing my pace, elevation, etc. However, I didn’t want to use phone battery and data to track runs, so I got a new Garmin watch. In 2010, my parents got me a Garmin and I can’t remember the model, but you needed to add a foot pod to your shoe and then plug it into a computer. The screen and function was so archaic that I just stopped using it when I downloaded the Nike app. Technology has changed in leaps and bounds. I love the look of this watch and the functions are much easier to control. I love that I can download different faces, track steps, see weather, see my calendar, as well as emails and texts. The coolest feature is you can download speed workouts and it will tell you when to speed up and slow down. This is super helpf

ul when in training. The data in the app is more extensive than Nike and connects to MyFitnessPal to track calories. It also tracks your sleep and steps. The only drawback is that it doesn’t track swimming. You can also get the model that tracks heart rate (Forerunner 235).


4. Hippie Runner headbands. My sister-in-law bought me my first handband and I was so happy that it stayed on my head after a run that I bought 5 more! My head is shaped weird; headbands tend to ride up and off, but not these! They come in all kinds of patterns and colors with different slogans, too.
They recently added a bunch of new designs that I have yet to get my hands on but I can’t wait to order some for the summer.


5. Old Navy running capris. If you haven’t tried any of the athletic gear from Old Navy then you are missing out! I find it’s good quality stuff for half the price of most big name running brands. I’ve had a pair of their running capris for several years and they are still going strong! (Girls with thighs, you know this is a big deal!)

I only buy my running capris from Old Navy; most places have cute ones but they are totally see-through when you stretch them over your butt. How embarrassing! Old Navy also makes cute tops and durable socks.


6. Brooks sports bras. I am well-endowed when it comes to busts, so I bought two of the Juno bras two years ago and was hooked! I loved how this bra fit from the start. However, I bought two of the newest Juno model and I’m not that impressed. The band is a lot wider and I need to use the last hook, which means I don’t have room to wear them out. The band also rolls up, which is really annoying. Good sports bras are hard to come by and are rarely affordable. If you have a favorite, leave it in the comments!


7. Nuun hydration tablets. I'm a vegetarian and not a fan of sugar so these tablets are perfect for making sure I have electrolytes after long runs, or summer running. I go through a lot of them in the Texas summer months. Sometimes I'll add one to my water even if I'm not working out that day! My favorite flavor is Strawberry Lemonade.


And of course, I have to have sunscreen before those summer runs, as well as an old visor and some sunglasses. I hear Goodr makes excellent sunglasses for running, but I have yet to try them. Maybe I will buy a pair as the summer goes on.


I can't wait until the sun goes down so I can head out the door with my dog, Daisy, for our #GlobalRunningDay run!


Cheers!


Kasey

No comments: