Monday, July 23, 2018

Teachers: Let's Support Each Other!

It's the end of July, and some teachers may be ready to start setting up their classroom and utilizing all of the wonderful materials they read and skills and tips learned in trainings attended all summer.  Others, like me, may be in a panic thinking that I slacked off and only read one script and didn't update any unit plans nor did I continue reading and planning after attending an awesome training.  One of my flaws as a teacher is that I am constantly comparing myself to others.

I had a fellow colleague my first few years of teaching who always made me feel like I wasn't doing enough for my students.  This feeling has never left me.  When I leave at 5:30 pm when my students do, am I doing enough?  When I don't add extra trips and parties, am I doing enough?  When I step back, I can clearly see that I am doing more than enough for these kids.  Our performances and contest results validate that for me several times throughout the year.  But, I still have this feeling in the back of my mind that I'm just not working hard enough.

Ten hour days and spending my own time and money shopping for supplies for plays is most definitely enough. Planning field trips and parties is definitely enough. The fact is: every teacher has their own style, and their own method of doing the work they need to do in order to achieve their individual goals.  As teachers, we need to stop judging other teachers for what we see them do, or don't do.  We need to support one another even more now than ever.  So, when your colleague leaves at the end of contract time while you're still working, don't judge.  When your colleague stays until 7 every night, don't judge.  How about we all work towards asking one another for help or offering it?  I admit, I have a hard time asking for help, but I really appreciate it when someone does so.

I promise to work harder for my students AND my colleagues this year.

Let's get ready for another school year!  (Or take more time to relax before getting ready!)

Whatever sprinkles your doughnut!

Cheers,
Kasey

No comments: