Sunday, July 8, 2018

My CG Fit Experience

I first learned about Camp Gladiator two years ago, right before our wedding.  I received a postcard for a teacher appreciation deal and decided to give it a try.  A year and a half later, I signed up for their 9 year Birthday Deal and went Bold after that 4 week camp.  (Going Bold means you've signed up for at least a year instead of just a 4 week camp.  There's a shirt and everything!)

Since September I've been making time to get to camp 2-3 times a week, along with running.  I'm at 89 check-ins at this point and hope to hit 100 before school starts.  I'm choosing to stick with Camp Gladiator because I believe it really helped me to train better for the half marathon I ran in February.  I only ran 2 days a week, did CG 3-4 times a week, and ran faster than my previous record by 11 minutes! 

Every few months they run a special program called CG Fit.  There's a fee to join and it depends on your Bold status.  I also used points that I acquired by checking in to workouts since September so I didn't have to pay the full price.

I was skeptical at first.  I didn't understand what I was paying for, but I wanted to use the body composition scale, be serious about meal planning, and increase weights at camp.  So, I signed up.

I was really surprised with my first body composition test.  I know I need to lose fat, but I thought my percentage was lower than the scale showed me. As I get older, I'm finding it increasingly harder to lose the weight I need to lose.  My body just wants to make sure I always have a cushion-like seat with me everywhere I go!

I really wanted CG Fit to meal plan for me because my husband and I were in a food rut.  We were tired of making the same things every week and feeling like our options as vegetarians were small.  You can purchase planned meals from an outside company through CG Fit, but I can't afford that on my teacher's salary.  So, I did lots of research online (Pinterest, mainly) and found several recipes to try.  I printed them all, added them into MyFitnessPal, and wrote down their macro nutrient content.  I printed a meal planning page and wrote down what I would be eating at every meal, including snacks. 

CG Fit advised that if I wanted to lose fat, I needed to increase my protein intake.  That was the super challenging aspect of meal planning.  Even when I wasn't a vegetarian, I found it difficult to get 40% of my calories to be protein instead of carbs.  If I worked out that day, I didn't beat myself up about going over on carbs.

The end of the school year is so tough, but I'm glad I signed up for CG Fit to make me stay on track.  That doesn't mean that I didn't skip happy hour on the last day of school, but I considered it to be balance.  Yes, I need to lose weight, but I also need to train my body to learn what balance feels like.  I didn't exclude treats, but I made sure to eat in moderation during CG Fit.

I was concerned about paying for the program, but I felt it kept me going knowing that I did pay for it.  If I ever felt like quitting, I told myself it would be a waste of money to do so.  I paid for it; I better see results!

Overall, I lost 7 lbs and increased my weights at camp.  I didn't run as much as I would have liked because it's so damn hot here in the summer, but I know that will change when temperatures cool in the fall.  That being said, I would love to do CG Fit again because it keeps my results so I can compare to different points throughout the year.  It also forced me to find new recipes and sit down to really meal plan for nutrition instead of just for a shopping list.

Now that CG Fit is over, I need to create new fitness goals to carry me through the rest of the year.  I know I will be running the Wurst 5 Miler in November, but I want another longer race to train for this winter.

Thanks for reading about my experience with Camp Gladiator and their CG Fit program!  If you follow me on Facebook you may be tired of hearing about it!  If you are interested in trying it out, I have a code that will give you the next three weeks free.  If you sign up to be a Bold member, ask me for my email address; I can't "level up" from Bronze to Silver until I get 2 referrals. :)

Cheers!
Kasey

Other dieting things I like or have tried:
Diet Bet:  Find a game, pay your part of the pot, lose 4-6% of your body weight, and win!  I played a game led by Chris and Heidi Powell and won $40, which gave me a $6 profit. :)  If you play with higher pots and less people, then the payout will be greater, though!

MyFitnessPal: This is my favorite calorie counting tool to use.  I mainly use the app on my phone to scan and add foods I eat throughout the day.  It breaks it down into macro and micro nutrients, as well.  I used the website on my computer to copy and paste recipe links to load into my database so when I ate that food for dinner, all of the ingredients were already there in the recipe title.  Super easy!

Nike Run Club app: Before I got my Garmin watch, I loved using the Nike app to track my runs.  Great data break down and I could see my pace on my phone.  I stopped using it because I didn't want to use phone data, but it's still a great app!

Recipes We Liked:
Pinch of Yum: Spicy Sofritas Veggie Bowls
This was really spicy (we added a 2nd pinch of sugar the third time we made it and it wasn't so bad!) but we LOVE putting this stuff on rice with pico, guac, cheese, etc.  It's like Chipotle has come to your kitchen!

One Pot Cheesy Mexican Lentils, Black Beans and Rice - Recipe Runner
Delicious, chili-like meal that's full of protein and very filling.  We cooked the lentils and rice ahead of time to cut the cooking time down.

Greek salads:
I created a greek salad with seasoned tempeh, lettuce, black olives, cucumbers, and italian dressing.

Taco salads:
Taco seasoned tempeh, tortilla strips, red bell pepper, and cilantro-avocado dressing.

And greek yogurt as a snack for protein!

No comments: