Monday, March 22, 2010

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

I've been waiting to read this one for a few years. I thought it might be interesting because I'm a theatre historian, however, this novel has a different twist. It's a vampire tale. It's not your average "emo vampire" love story that is rampant today, but a more carefully crafted story based on an actual historical character, Vlad Tepes from Wallachia (in Romania). I was intrigued, and I'm glad I chose this book. I know it will probably be my last vampire novel because vampires are CREEPY. I have no idea how vampires turned into a romantic figure, and I don't want to know. If I see a vampire in my life time, I'm running the other way. I do recommend this book because it is suspenseful, but can also be slow. It's the story of tracking down the vampire through historical research, which is interesting to me and I know it's not interesting to some people.

On another vampire note, I had to work the midnight DVD release party for New Moon. Ugh. Lots of screaming girls and grumpy mothers at midnight to buy a stupid movie.

Theresa rented "Whip It" the other day and we finally watched it tonight. I approve of this film! It was really cute, and to top it off, it takes place in Austin! A lot of known actors are in the film, and it has great laughing moments as well as great mother-daughter scenes. I will probably buy this one from Blockbuster when it goes on sale next year.

No comments: