Wednesday, August 19, 2015

My Favorite One-Pot Meal

I love to cook, but I love it even more when it all goes in one pan/pot and lightens the cleaning. My favorite one-pot meal is chili! There are several ways to make this and that's probably why I love it. I make it differently each time based on what ingredients I have or want to add. My parents have a great chili recipe that is so different from this one, but it's not football season without the Noodle Chili.

I will try to record what I made tonight:

Kasey's One-Pot Chili


Ingredients:
1-2 lbs ground beef or turkey
2 gloves garlic, finely diced
1 jalapeño, finely diced
2 hatch chiles, finely chopped (when in season!)
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 can beans (I used a large can of black beans)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce (I didn't have any tonight and it was still delicious)
1 tablespoon of cumin, chili powder, and paprika each
1 teaspoon ground chipotle (or more if you want more smoke flavored)
1 tablespoon of cooking oil (I use coconut)
Salt and pepper

Toppings: shredded Mexican blend cheese, sliced avocado, sour cream, cilantro

Cook:
Heat oil in large pot or deep skillet on medium heat. Add garlic, chiles, jalapeño, and onion. Cook a few minutes then add ground meat.  Cook meat until brown. Add spices and stir. Drain tomatoes and beans and add them to the skillet. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!

This can be a rather high calorie meal so watch your serving size. I like to eat this meal for dinner after a running day. The protein in the meat, beans, and cheese is great for recovery.

I'm not sure how long it took me to make this tonight, but the longest part is chopping everything.  I would guess this is a quick 30 minute meal and my large skillet is full so it could definitely feed at least four people. Since it's only Patrick and me, that means leftovers for days!! :)

Cheers!

No comments: